James and Jennifer Becknell are organizing a trip to Israel in May. View this flyer on the Holy Land Tour to print the registration form (needs to be mailed with your payment), learn some basic information about the tour, see the total cost per person (not including airfare) and your itinerary. We are excited to open this tour up to the members of the Chicago Church of Christ! We would like to get a preliminary idea of who is planning on making the trip so that we can start making firm plans.
If you are interested in participating in this life changing tour please email James at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at 630.362.2121.
Now is the time to start planning for this trip!
Question: What is included with your tour package?
Answer: A lot…
- Hotel Accommodations – Stay in very nice 4 Star hotels every night!
- Meals – Incredible breakfast and dinner buffet’s every morning and evening. This includes traditional Israeli/Mediterranean meals. The food is out of this world!
- All Tour Site Admission Costs – Touring admission to approximately 48 unique sites of biblical and historical importance.
- Three Tour Hosts – James & Jennifer Becknell and Dr. Evertt Huffard. See bios below! (One of which is an American born Professor at Harding School of Theology and grew up in Israel as the son of a missionary family and then later returned to lead a church in Nazareth as a missionary himself.)
- One Expert Israeli Tour Guide – Jeries Farah, from Nazareth. He is an “academic guide” so expect him to talk much of the time and provide more historical and biblical backgrounds than the average guide. He will also give background information on local life and customs that you will find interesting. Please ask questions.
- Official Site Manual – This manual is equipped with biblical and historical information about each location we visit along with scripture references.
- Holy Land Devotional Book – Daily quiet times that go along with the sites we will be visiting for the day
- Incredible Fellowship – This will be the time of your life. Lifetime memories with great people!
- Extras – Maps, Hats, Souvenirs, etc…
Question: In the flyer it states the cost is $2,390. I just want to confirm that this is PER person? – Thanks
Answer: Yes, the tour cost is $2,390 per person. This includes all of your hotel stay during the 10 day period, dinner and breakfast, site admission to the various archaeological/historical sites all throughout Israel (we visit approximately 48 unique sites – Each of these individual sites have admissions costs that is totally covered by the tour price.), professional, academically trained, local and experienced tour guides, tips and airport taxes. We will be staying in first class hotels (4-star). The price does not include air transportation, travel insurance, noon meals, and incidental personal expenses.
Question: What are the dates for the tour?
Answer: May 17-27. You need to plan to arrive in Israel by about 5pm on May 17 and leave on May 26 around 8pm.
Question: Is the tour open to non Church of Christ members?
Answer: Absolutely, yes!
Question: Will I need to obtain any visas for travel?
Answer: No need for additional visas (Any required visas are covered under the tour group), just make sure your U.S. Passport is up to date.
Question: Anything I should be aware of safety wise?
Answer: As far as safety is concerned, we felt completely safe on our trip. After you register for the trip, you will receive a tour package that will give you additional guidelines on customs, culture, practices and safety. We try to prepare the group for everything.
Question: Is a deposit required to reserve my spot on the tour?
Answer: Yes! Reservations will be made as deposits of $300 per person are received. Since we take a limited number, it is highly recommended that you send your deposit (to Dr. Evertt W. Huffard, 1000 Cherry Rd, Memphis, TN 38117) in as soon as possible to get your name on the list. Make checks payable to Evertt W. Huffard.
Question: What are the cancellation and refund policies?
Answer: If you are placed on a waiting list and do not make the tour, your deposit will be refunded. All cancellations MUST BE RECEIVED IN WRITING via E-MAIL (email@example.com) or REGULAR U.S. MAIL (Dr. Evertt W. Huffard, 1000 Cherry Rd, Memphis, TN 38117). In addition to a $100 per person administrative fee, the following charges will apply for cancellation: 90-60 days prior to departure: $400.00 cancellation fee; 59-30 days prior to departure 50% cancellation fee; 29 days prior to departure: total loss of all tour costs.
Question: When is the total payment for the tour due?
Answer: Total Payment of $2,390 is due by February 15, 2017 (February 16 till May 1 the total will be $2,690 if space is available.) Make check payable to Dr. Evertt W. Huffard and mail to 1000 Cherry Rd., Memphis, TN 38117. (Remember to deduct the deposit from your final payment).
Question: Should I purchase travel insurance?
Answer: To protect your travel plans, we recommend the purchase of travel insurance.
- May 17 [Wed] Depart NYC for TLV
- May 18 [Thur] Arrive in TLV at 5:35 pm, drive to our hotel in Tiberias
- May 19 [Fri] SEA OF GALILEE
Boat Ride on Sea of Galilee, Jesus Boat, Capernaum, Bethsaida, Mt. Beatitude, (overnight Tiberias)
- May 20 [Sat] UPPER GALILEE
Gamla, Hazor, Dan, and Caesarea Philippi (Overnight in Tiberias)
- May 21 [Sun] NAZARETH–JEZREEL VALLEY
Sepphoris, worship with the Church of Christ in Nazareth, visit Church of the Annunciation, Megiddo, and Bethshean (overnight in Tiberias)
- May 22 [Mon] SAMARIA
Dothan, Hill of Samaria, Sabaste, Mt. Gerizim, Jacob’s Well, and Shiloh (overnight in Jerusalem)
- May 23 [Tue] JERUSALEM
Old City, Dome of the Rock, Church of the Holy Sepulcher, Jaffa Gate, David’s Citadel, Western Wall, Western Wall Tunnel, City of David, and Hezekiah’s Tunnel/Pool of Siloam (overnight in Jerusalem)
- May 24 [Wed] JORDAN VALLEY
Early departure for Jericho, Jordan River, Dead Sea, Qumran, and Masada (overnight in Jerusalem)
- May 25 [Th] JERUSALEM
Mt. of Olives, Garden Tomb, Gethsemane, and Israel Museum/Model City (overnight in Jerusalem)
- May 26 [Fri] COASTAL PLAIN
Late morning departure to visit Bethshemish, Valley of Elah, Caesarea Maritima and then to the TLV airport (8 pm for very late night departures)
- May 27 [Sat] Arrive in USA
POSSIBLE EXTENSION TO PETRA (Dependent Upon Interest)
$795 per person double occupancy includes transfers, visa entry cost to Jordan, Israel departure and border tax, 1 night in Jerusalem and 2 nights in Petra.
- May 26 [Fri] Overnight in Jerusalem
- May 27 [Sat] Cross into Jordan, visit baptismal site, Madaba, Mt. Nebo, Kings Highway (overnight in Petra)
- May 28 [Sun] Petra (overnight in Petra)
- May 29 [Mon] Drive to Ben Gurion International Airport for late night departure
- May 30 [Tue] Arrive in USA
Additional Travel Info
Travel options to consider as you plan for the tour – Because you will be making your own flights, you have options for extra days in Israel:
- One option is to arrive three days early and join Evertt on an excursion to Petra that will be May 27-29. This will involve one additional night in Jerusalem and two nights in Petra (estimated to cost $795 for hotel, transportation, fees, tips and two meals a day–cost varies by the size of the group).
- A second option would be a few additional days in Jerusalem. I would recommend this after the tour since you will have a better orientation to the city and will find things you would like to do that we could not do on the tour.
- Another option would be to spend three days in Athens before the tour to get over jet lag and tour the city on your own. It is easy to book hotels in Athens or we could connect you with a tour company that could help make arrangements for you. In May, Evertt had a free day and enjoyed walking around the east side of the Acropolis and through the ancient Agora. The food in the Plaka was great too!
Our Tour Host
Dr. Evertt W. Huffard is Professor of leadership and missions at Harding School of Theology, in Memphis, Tennessee, where he has taught for 29 years. He served as VP/Dean for 15 years. In 1997 he received the Distinguished Teacher Award from Harding University. He was an elder at the Church of Christ at White Station for ten years. He is a consultant for church leaders as one of the partners in Hope Network Ministries. He provides church equipping for missions through Mission Resource Network. He has hosted over 30 tour groups to Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan and Israel. In 2014 he consulted for 24 churches in 9 states and participated in church leadership development in Australia, Honduras, Israel, and Mozambique. In 2016 he hosted a tour to Greece and Ephesus. The last half of the year he will be teaching in Singapore, Cambodia, China, Malaysia, and Zambia.
His cross-cultural experiences began as a teenager when his parents moved to Jerusalem, Jordan in 1963. He attended an Arab High School on the West Bank. He returned to the USA in 1967 and after graduating from Lubbock Christian University (A.A.), Harding University (B.A.), and Harding School of Theology (M.A. and M.Th.) he worked with the Church of Christ in Nazareth, Israel and taught Bible at the Galilee Christian High School. He completed a Ph.D. in Inter-Cultural Studies at Fuller Theological Seminary in 1985 with a focus on the Muslim-Christian encounter. He has ten years of urban ministry experience in Los Angeles and Memphis. He lectures on leadership, missions, biblical archaeology, and the Muslim-Christian encounter. He was a participant in a faith-based diplomacy project with leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood in Amman, Jordan in 2011.
Evertt and his wife, Ileene, have three children and seven grandsons.
Statement of Liability
The tour hosts serve only as agents for the passenger in regards to travel, by any means, and assume no liability for injury, damage, loss, accident, delay or irregularity which may be occasioned either by acts or defects in any vehicle or for any reason whatsoever, or through the acts or default of any company or person in conveying the passenger or in carrying out the arrangements of the tour. They can accept no responsibility for losses or additional expenses due to delay or changes in air or other services, sicknesses, weather, strike, war, quarantine, or other causes. All such losses and expenses will have to be borne by the passenger as tour rates provide for arrangements only for the time slated. While the conditions of the tour need to be made clear, it will be our goal to do all we can to provide a quality tour experience, biblically informed and spiritually uplifting. Ten days with a wonderful group of Christians studying the geography, archaeology, and history of the Bible together will be an experience you will always cherish.