The Chicago Church of Christ is once again hosting a September Summer Shindig on Saturday, September 11th! The ‘Summer Shindig’ will take place from 9am to 3pm and will be filled with fun activities for everyone to enjoy. There will be bingo, splash park, face painting, putt-putt golf, music and prizes (sorry, no inflatables this year). Also, there will be an 8 on 8 coed soccer tournament, a 6 on 6 coed volleyball tournament, a 3 on 3 basketball tournament and of course the annual Jeff Balsom Memorial Softball Tournament. Freshman in highschool and older can participate. Please feel free to bring food (no grilling). There will also be a concession stand selling food and drinks. We will also be having a baking contest with prizes for the best Pie!
So put it on your calendar and get ready to join us at the September Summer Shindig!
Schedule of Events
8:00 a.m. — Softball, soccer, volleyball and basketball teams arrive and warm-up
8:45 a.m. — All athletes meet at concession stand for opening ceremony
9:00 a.m. — National Anthem and SHINDIG STARTS
9:15 a.m. — Softball, soccer, volleyball and basketball games begin
10:00 a.m. — Miniature golf opens
10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. — Bingo round 1
11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. — Kids Games
12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. — Face painting at concession stand
12:00 p.m. — Pie contest drop-off (see below)
1:00 – 2:30 p.m. — Bingo round 2
3:00 p.m. — SHINDIG ENDS
Suggestions on What to Bring
- Picnic Food (no grilling)
- Money for Concessions
- Cooler with Drinks
- Beach Towel for Splash Park
- Bathing Suits for Kids
- Lawn Chairs
- Shade Umbrella
- Your friends and family
Shindig Pie Contest
Love to bake? Grab your favorite pie recipe and enter this year’s Shindig Pie Contest! Prizes will be given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.
- Bring your pie to the gazebo near the west baseball field at 12 noon. There will be signs to direct you. We’ll also make an announcement at the time.
- There will be someone at the gazebo to collect the pies. Make sure you register your name and the name of your entry.
- If you’re feeling ambitious, you may enter up to 3 pies. But each of your entries must be a different kind of pie.
- Any kind of dessert pie is acceptable: fruit pies, nut pies, single crust, double crust, etc. (Note: if your pie needs to stay cool, please bring it in a cooler.)
- This contest is open to bakers of all ages! However, pies must be entered in the name of the person who made it.
- Pies will be judged in three categories: overall appearance, texture/consistency, and taste.
- Judging will be anonymous. Judges will not see any entrant’s name.
- During judging, we ask that everyone leave the area to allow for privacy during the judging process.
- Winners will be announced shortly after the judging is complete.
- Then it’s time to Shin-DIG IN!!! We’ll dish up the pies for the church to enjoy! But be sure to grab your pie plate, cooler or any other items to take home after dessert is served.
Pie contest questions? Email: email@example.com