Our Discover Camp is for incoming 5th, 6th and 7th graders. At Discover, we will teach and inspire our pre-teens about the all-surpassing love of our great and awesome God who truly is “ALIVE” in every way! The Discover camp is like nowhere else as pre-teens from all over the Midwest come together for a week of fun, friendship building, memory making and of course a little bit of camp craziness! So don’t delay and get registered today!
– Directors: Antoine and Charlene Wills
The cost is $385 (plus $15 for bus transportation for Chicago campers).
Register early! Each year we have families disappointed to find out their session of camp is full. Registration links are at the bottom of this page.
Drop Off & Pick Up
Late arrival (past 6:00 p.m. on Sunday) or early dismissal from camp (i.e. family vacation, sports, etc.) will not be permitted without prior approval from the Camp Director. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For kids taking the bus to/from Chicago:
- Drop-Off: Sunday, July 28 at 1:00 p.m., Church Office, 755 IL Route 83, Bensenville
- Pick-Up: Saturday, August 3 at 12:30 p.m., Church Office, 755 IL Route 83, Bensenville
For kids not taking the bus:
- Drop-Off: Sunday, July 28 at 3:30 p.m., Rock River Christian Camp, 16486 IL-64, Polo
- Pick-Up: Saturday, August 3 at 10:30 a.m., Rock River Christian Camp, 16486 IL-64, Polo
First-Time Campers Meeting
A meeting for first-time campers and their parents in the Chicago area will be held Sunday, June 30, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. at the Metro Ministry Center, 409 Greenfield Street, Oak Park, IL. During this time the camp goals, schedule, expectations, etc. will be discussed. This also gives parents and campers a chance to ask questions about the camp experience.
Camp couldn’t exist without a team of dedicated Christians who sacrifice a week of time and energy to be with our young campers. Serving as a counselor isn’t easy as it involves a high level of responsibility, a demanding schedule and can be emotionally taxing. However, it is very rewarding knowing you are helping today’s youth grow into tomorrow’s faithful men and women. There is no cost for camp counselors.
A teen who wishes to serve as a counselor must be 16 years old and be a disciple for at least six months. There are a limited number of teen counselor positions available.
If you are ready to serve complete the online Youth Camp Counselor Application.
What to Bring
Each year hundreds of items are lost at camp. Please LABEL EVERYTHING and consider not sending expensive or irreplaceable items with your child.
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- Refillable water bottle
- Ten sets of clothes (some nice, most grubby!)
- Strapless tops, racer back tanks that expose undergarments, and spaghetti strap tops are not allowed at camp. Straps must be at least two fingers wide.
- Jeans and a sweatshirt (it gets chilly at night)
- Rain jacket (optional)
- Bathing suit (one-piece or tankini for the girls)
- Two or three towels (for the bath house and pool)
- At least two pairs of shoes
- Flip-flop sandals for the bathhouse (optional)
- Toiletries (shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, etc.)
- Medications (in original bottles). Over-the-counter medications taken for occasional use (pain relievers, etc.) are stocked in the Camp Health Office, so please do not send them with your camper. Over-the-counter medications taken on a regular schedule (daily allergy medications, etc.) SHOULD be sent with your camper in the original packaging.
- Trash bag — clearly labeled with camper’s name — for dirty or wet clothing returning home
- Bug spray
- Bible, notebook, pens
- Flashlight (optional)
- Small sack to carry Bible (optional)
- Inexpensive/disposable camera (optional)
What NOT to Bring to Camp
- Over-the-counter medications taken for occasional use (pain relievers, etc.). These are stocked in the Camp Health Office.
- Candy, food, gum, etc. (No food of any kind is allowed in cabins)
- Cellphone — Campers who bring a cell phone must turn it in at the designated time on Sunday. Phones found in possession of campers will be collected and returned by the end of August once a $25 return fee has been paid.
- Electronics (game system, iPod, etc.)
- Expensive cameras
Keep In Touch During Camp
As camp gets underway, check these links for pictures, video and more!
Campers love to get mail and small packages! However, food, drinks and candy items cannot be sent to campers. If you would like to send mail to your child during camp, address it to:
Rock River Christian Camp
Attn: Child’s Name
16486 Illinois 64 West
Polo, IL 61064
Terms and Conditions
The Terms and Conditions you will be agreeing to upon registration are as follows:
- I understand the Camp Director reserves the right to dismiss any camper whose behavior or attitude is disruptive to the welfare of the camp. No refund will be given in the event of dismissal. It is the parent’s responsibility to arrange transportation for early dismissal.
- I understand the Camp Health Officer reserves the right to dismiss any camper for medical conditions he/she deems necessary. No refund will be given in the event of dismissal. It is the parent’s responsibility to arrange transportation for early dismissal.
- I understand that all medicines (i.e. prescriptions & over–the–counter drugs) are to be turned over to the Camp Health Officer at the beginning of camp. I am aware that the Camp Health Officer oversees the administration of medications. The staff will do their best to remind my child to take his/her medications, but it is not the responsibility of the camp staff to remind my child to visit the Camp Health Officer.
- I give my permission for the Camp Health Officer to administer over–the–counter medications to my child as deemed necessary.
- I am aware that my child is responsible for his/her personal belongings. It is not the responsibility of the Church to find or return any belongings that are left or lost at camp.
- In order to provide the best and safest camp experience each camper gives up the right to have his or her bag and/or belongs searched if the camp director or village director feels it’s necessary for any reason.
- I understand I cannot visit my child at camp.
- I give my child permission to participate in potentially dangerous activities at camp such as swimming, paintball and zip line. I will not hold Rock River Christian Camp, its employees, agents or officers liable for injuries sustained at camp.
- Should it be necessary for my child to receive medical attention/treatment, I hereby give my consent for a qualified physician to perform any medical or surgical procedures he/she deems necessary to the welfare of my child. It is also understood that the staff or counselors and medical personnel will make every attempt to contact parents/guardians when taking any such actions. Further, this authorization permits said physician to hospitalize, secure appropriate consultation, order injections, anesthesia (local, general or both) or surgery for my child if such emergency conditions warrant.
- I also give permission for the person(s) leading or directing these activities to use their best judgment to otherwise render any assistance (i.e. First Aid, CPR, etc.) to my child in the event of injury or illness.
- I understand that the Chicago Church of Christ or any person(s) leading or directing these activities has no insurance coverage for medical or hospital costs for my child, which are associated with injury or illness occurring in the course of these activities (unless the child is already a covered dependent under the church’s employee health plan). Therefore, any costs incurred for such medical attention/treatment shall be my sole responsibility.
- I release the Chicago Church of Christ to use any photographs or video of my child taken at camp for the website, social media or for promotional purposes.
- I understand that if I cancel my child’s registration there will be a $50 cancellation fee. The fee is $150 for cancellations within ten days of the beginning of camp. Registration is non-transferable.
Registration ends June 9, 2019
If you have questions about camp, please email us at email@example.com.